Tuesday, August 5, 2008

what i wish i could sound like when i talk about running.

"Whenever I run a marathon my mind goes through the exact same process. Up to nineteen miles I'm sure I can run a good time, but past twenty-two miles I run out of fuel and start to get upset at everything. And at the end I feel like a car that's run out of gas. But after I finish and some time has passed, I forget all the pain and misery and am already planning how I can run an even better time in the next race."
--Haruki Murakami

Haruki Murakami is one of my favorite authors, and it just so happens that his new book about running was released the day after I was told to refrain from the same activity until January. Now I fear that my hiatus from running will result not only in the loss of my endurance and sanity, but also my future chances at novel-writing. This book and I are entangled in an intense love-hate relationship right now.

No comments: